The American Dairy Products Institute was formed in April 1986 through a merger of the 61-year-old American Dry Milk Institute (ADMI) and the 15-year-old Whey Products Institute (WPI). In April 1997, we expanded the scope of the organization by further merging with the Evaporated Milk Association. A cheese division was established in 1997. In fact, ADPI's efforts today build upon three-quarters of a century of work completed by these associations.
The ADMI, started by 18 dry milk manufacturing firms, served and promoted the growth of an infant dry milk industry and sought to accomplish goals unattainable by any individual firm. ADMI members made significant progress and counted achievements in such important areas as improvement in product quality, uniformity of composition and consistent functionality to provide highly desirable commercial and consumer dry milk products.
Whey processing enters the picture
In 1971, a meeting to discuss the formation of a national trade association to represent a developing U.S. whey processing industry was attended by 102 individuals representing 56 cheese manufacturing and whey processing firms, industry friends and observers. From that forum came the beginnings of the WPI. The primary objectives set for WPI were: to develop quality and product identity standards as a guide for producing high-quality food and feed ingredients; expand the uses of whey through research and promotion; assure product acceptance by users and consumers; and collection and distribution of information and statistics to further the goals of the association. The goals of WPI, altered through the years by economic conditions and advances in agricultural and food science technology, served to advance the industry through the initial, highly critical years of its organization.
- Now organized as a single body, ADPI serves the needs of its members by:
- Promoting the industry’s image and enhancing it’s growth and development.
- Assisting members with technical, statistical and marketing matters.
- Harmonizing standards relating to manufactured dairy products.
- Promoting the dairy products processing industry and it's products through relations with affiliated industry organizations and applicable government bodies
- Providing a strong, effective voice for the manufactured dairy products industry.
ADPI accomplishes these tasks through its committee structure and relies extensively on the experience, knowledge, guidance, cooperation and commitment of industry leaders to ensure the continued success of the organization.